In this mobile centric world, everybody prefers to surf web on their own mobile devices. This makes it mandatory for businesses to create mobile optimized websites. Initially, this thing was not given much importance but now after the launch of Google’s mobile algorithm, this has become of prime importance for website owners.
So, now the question is how to develop a website which works well on mobile as well as on desktop. One option can be to develop a separate website for both the devices. Another option is to get responsive design developed by experts.
Second option is the most preferable one as this will provide users the same content as visible over the desktop website. While creating any responsive design; certain things are to be borne in mind as this will enhance the user experience.
Here, in this blog; we will discuss about some do’s and don’ts that any web designer must be keep in mind while creating web design for mobile devices. So, let’s move ahead:
Mobile Web Design: Do’s
- User centric Design: So, who are your users? Teenagers, old people, kids, women, business people, working professionals etc any of these can be your target audience. So, design must be developed keeping in mind your target audience.This will create interest in the users and as a result; more people will view your site on their devices. The design should match with the users test. Their purpose must be met when they land on your website.
- Choose Normal Readable Fonts: The font of your mobile website must be large enough so that it is easily readable and users don’t get frustrated and must be so impressed that they tend to visit your website again and again.The buttons, text must be easy visible and must be tapped easily. So, add buttons, graphics, text in such a way that it becomes easy for users to access it on mobile device.
- Speed is an important factor to be considered: Irrespective of the device for which you are developing the site, it is important to consider speed as an important factor while developing any website.Be it mobile or desktop; everyone wants the pages to get loaded quickly and no one wants to wait because internet means tasks done quickly. So, it is very much important to optimize your website speed.
This can include website resizing, cropping, managing image resolutions and lots more. These can save lot of bandwidth thus improving user experience and making sure that they stick to your website till the time the page is loaded fully.
- Organize your content: The message that you wish to deliver to the target audience will remain same but the way to deliver may differ considering the type of audience you have. Be it desktop, mobile or any other device, message will remain the same only the words will be different.Real estate is an industry where people prefer more of mobile devices to view websites. Hence, it is necessary to organize the content. It is necessary to focus on what you say and how you say it.
Be as briefer as possible and make the content interesting by using proper images, animations, videos, icons and lots more along with text.
- Keep testing the design constantly: Once developed test the design on as many devices as possible and make sure that it is compatible with almost every device. Its functioning must also be checked considering the audience.To check your web design properly, you can make use of several software simulators available for Android as well as iOS. At present, no other substitute is available for checking the design on mobile devices.
Following these tips, one can create a great design for any mobile device. But the design should match users interest as well as business niche. Now, let’s go ahead and learn about certain things that must be avoided while developing mobile web design.
Mobile Web Design: Don’ts
- Avoid making it similar to your desktop site: It is a wrong notion that mobile web design must be similar to the one available on the desktop. Yes, certain things must be consistent but not the whole design.Mobile website is not the duplicate form of desktop site. Both should have some sort of difference. Hence, new innovations are always welcomed while designing for mobile. It is possible that both websites vary in the form of colour, images, graphics etc.
Always try to have creativity in your website; be it mobile or desktop because something new usually attracts people rather than the same old looking website with normal structure having menus and sub menus.
- You don’t know how people will interact with your site: When a website is developed for mobile devices, designers presume that mobile users have less time, mobile visitors are very busy.Further, there are tablet users who are likely to be spendthrifts and love to spend most of the money on mobile devices. Sometimes, such assumptions can lead you into trouble and sometimes these can be completely wrong.
If you wish to know how your audience interacts with your website then one must conduct deep investigation for that matter. Market research and website usability testing are actually important strategies to know about the audience as well as their needs.
- Avoid complicating things: The main aim is to keep things simple. This is most useful when it comes to small screens. Hence, it’s important to include only genuine things on your mobile site.Keeping the design uncluttered as well as maintaining focus on one function can provide spaciousness on the small screen.
- Easy Navigation is important: Develop a website in such a way that it is easy to navigate, difficulty in navigation can actually drive the users away. Navigation is often a problem when websites are visited on mobile devices. Make sure this issue doesn’t affect you.So, while planning the website design; think about how your navigation system is going to help the users so that they can easily find their way in the site.
Keep in mind these do’s and don’ts when you are developing a mobile web design. For more such, tips regarding responsive web design; stay connected with Platinum SEO, Responsive Web Design Melbourne.